Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Dreams of Loneliness: The Project

In Between Dreams, for about a year and a half, was named Dreams of Loneliness. 

I was a little bit obsessed with Fleetwood Mac at the time, specifically the song Dreams, which appears in the novel more than once.

Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
Dreams of Loneliness

So, the name of the book was Dreams of Loneliness, and though it vaguely reflects the book -- it didn't quite fit. (Though, I wanted it to. So badly.) Because Bailey, our heroine, is not lonely in her dreams. Though her life (because of her sleeping disorder) can be a very lonely existence, her dreams aren't lonely.

So, I scrapped the title and went for something new. For months I searched and searched for a new title. Scouring high and low and talking to everyone I met. Because what the bleep was I going to call this book? This book I had worked on endlessly. This book I had scarified my marriage and the ability to watch my favorite TV shows. It would never have a name. Because nothing fit.


The book was actually named Half Asleep for a little minute. Then changed to Half Awake.

Here are a couple of ideas that were passed around after that:

Drifting
Sleep Debt
Hypersomnia
Half a Life

Until, on an email exchange, my mom wrote "In Between". And I was in love.

In Between was the title of book for a year or so, until the thought of publishing it came about. Realizing that the book was not a stand alone book, I needed something more. If this was going to be the In Between Series, it needed a little more. So, I added the Dreams to the end of the name, thought of two other names for book two and three and there you have it.

In Between Dreams is here, and here to stay.

Now, I can't imagine it being named anything else. Isn't that always the way?

Grateful for the people in my life who helped me through to this point. The title was just one thorn in my side throughout the process, there was plenty more along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment